February 5, 2008

Saving a Wiki site as site template with Content

Recently, we had a Wiki sub site which was residing on one site collection. We wanted to move it from there to another server under another site collection. I thought the easiest way would be to create a site template with content for the Wiki site and then create a wiki site on the target server using the STP file generated.

I then went into Site Actions à Site Settings à Save Site as Template

The first thing odd about this is that I thought Sub Sites do not have the "Save Site as Template" link in site settings. It is an unsupported feature to type in /_layouts/savetmpl.aspx and create the site template. The next strange thing is when savetmpl.aspx page loaded up it did not have the "Include Content".





I found both to odd. So I went to another sub site in the same site collection, and went to Site Settings. The "Save Site as Template" link as missing here as expected. I then typed in /_layouts/savetmpl.aspx and it loaded the page with the "Include Content" link.

I don't understand this but haven't really had the time to investigate this further.

No comments: