February 6, 2008

32-bit Emulation Mode on x64 box

The network guys had setup a Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard x64 Edition with SP2 to experiment with and I wanted to check out WSS 3.0 on this. So I downloaded WSS 3.0 x64 and the .NET frameworks and started installing. When I started the setup for WSS, I got an error stating that the IIS was running in 32-bit emulation mode.

I didn't know how to "disable" the 32 bit emulation as it was clear that IIS would not start any 64 bit process. After googling a bit (Ah! What would the modern day Software Engineer do without Google), I found that in order to enable 32 bit emulation you have to change the value of W3SVC/AppPools/Enable32bitAppOnWin64 to 1 or higher and to remove it you need to set the value to 0.

Accordingly, you can go to the command prompt and type:

CScript "%SystemDrive%\InetPub\AdminScripts\adsutil.vbs" set w3svc/AppPools/Enable32bitAppOnWin64 0

Then reset IIS

IISRESET

And the 32 bit emulation should stop working.

No comments: